Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Small Things

Why do people focus so much on what denomination people are? Our goal in life is not to "convert" everyone to Baptist or Lutheran, etc. During FCA today, one of the students continued to ask everyone what religion they are. Of course they all immediately say Baptist, Lutheran, Catholic, etc. Which is exactly what she wanted to know. I explained that is called a denomination, your religion is Christianity, believing in Christ, which those denominations do. And like normal Jr. High students, they could care less what I was saying :) She was so focused on people "converting" between denominations, and her converting from Baptist to Catholic, "you know I have church on Wednesday called CCE, and we learn about Cat-a-lism and we do that cross thing with our hands" yes she did say that! She has no clue what she is "converting" to or why. She had no clue, one of the students was saying she was Mormon. This is the real reason we are there, here we have her there, singing praise and worship songs, and as Christians they were so focused on what denominations or "religion" they were or "converting" to, they missed an opportunity to share with this student. So as I write this, I begin to think, yes, I know they are Jr. High kids, but as Christians (I know I do) we get caught up in the small things, that we miss the big or obvious opportunities God gives us.

2 comments:

  1. We do tend to get caught up in details and the "busy"-ness of life, missing opportunities that are around us every day. At least you recognized that this was a missed opportunity, and now can pray that God will give you and the FCA students eyes to see and words to respond to these opportunities! Just thought I would tell you what an awesome woman you are, and how proud I am of you! -aunt jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wrote a nice long comment and i couldnt figure out the "comment as" section! BOOO! So here I am retyping it. It didn't really say much besides the fact that college kids do the same thing about religion/denomination! They don't get it, in fact no one does/or will until they really have a relationship with Jesus! Thats all it takes and you know it doesn't matter about the smaller things! I sure love you Cara! looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete